Wednesday 5 June 2013

You are one of the few good actresses around, both on stage and in movies; how have you been able to achieve that?
For me, it’s a seasonal thing. Making films, doing stage or television shows help you as an actor; it helps your depth as an actor because you get to feel the various aspects of art. Going on stage gives you discipline, depth and professionalism. Film making gives you the reality of art, you have to be real in films. So, it’s a season thing for me. You are better off as an actor if you can combine the two.
How did you find your feet in the industry?
The first television appearance I had was in Fidelis Duker’s Eldorado in 2007. I started acting professionally in 2007. I have done a film shot in celluloid format called Abobaku, it’s not a commercial film. It’s was shot for film festivals all over the world. I’ve taken part in some independent works from Emem Isong’s stable. I did a television series titled Catwalq, I did an independent movie by a Hollywood director two years ago called Aina. I have worked with some British film makers a couple of months back and another one called: Finding Diamond Jewelry.
From what you have said so far, you have your link more in the international market than at home, you’ve done more of international jobs than you have in Nollywood?
I wouldn’t say that, but yes because there is a standard that I try to attain…
Let us leave the standard for now.
What is that edge you have, what is the connectivity; is there a foreign manager that gets you the jobs?
No, no, the edge is that you are delivering quality acting. Nobody wants a mediocre acting, especially when you are working with professional actors, there is no time and it is usually big budget involved, so, if you are professional in what you do, and you are talented then the opportunities would come, most of them from going to auditions. You know some people don’t go to auditions because actors get jobs through that, and would want to sleep with directors for roles.
Does that mean you have never been harassed before?
I have been harassed before, even while I was in paid employment, so it is not peculiar to the industry; it’s everywhere.
Do you have any prior training in acting before coming into the profession; did you study Theatre Arts or something similar?
No, I studied Biochemistry. Over the years, I have held workshops, I have undergone trainings at various films’ schools and I’m still doing that to improve myself. I read a lot, a lot of film books I actually invest in them. So, for me; it’s more of self development.
How did you get to participate in the last Olympics stage play?
I did a play some months back called Little Drops, which Joke Silva came in to watch, afterwards she called me to ask if I had a visa and I said no. She then said she would like me to come for auditioning, as part of the cast going to the Olympics and added, ‘I pray you came through’ and I said amen.
When I got there, I met movie stars and it was so nerve racking but I got through and signed a contract. It was quite a fulfilling moment and I shed tears of joy. I mean going through all that hardship and finally, been able to get on a platform was richly rewarding. Being on stage with four generations of artists like, Joke Silva, Olu Jacobs, Justus Esiri, Segun Arinze, Bimbo Akintola, was amazing, it was a dream come through. Learning how they interpret their lines, was quite rewarding.
How many of Nollywood divas have you acted with, because it is a general knowledge that those up there are easily threatened by the upcoming ones?
I’ve been on set with Bimbo Akintola and she was just like a sister to me, she would help you with your character. I have not worked with Genevieve but I have a friend who had worked with her and she also has the same story about her.
So, I think it’s just people making up stories. At the end of the day, the sky is big enough for everybody. There are stars and there are stars, so, everybody can get to the top but staying up there is the thing.
What is your unique selling point; what stands you out?
My unique selling point is God; this gift was given to me by God.
Ok. God but there should be a unique selling point for you, for instance, some would like to act like Genevieve and the likes. What is yours?
I feel great when I portray a character and the writer comes to me and say that was what I was thinking about when I wrote that story. That has been my unique selling point and I have treated every character like that. I want you to see that character, not me.
For me, there is no fine girl as an actor. You have to be fine, ugly; all of it put together. You mustn’t even be too flashy and be stereo-typed. I’ve played the role of an old woman, I’ve played that of a young girl of 12, I’ve acted as a witch, and I’ve played an aristo, I’ve played different roles. Ability to interpret roles and be different is my unique selling point.
Which is your most challenging movie?
It’s yet to come. With each character, comes its own challenges but I’m about to do something now, I won a grant from the British Government to do a project. A one-woman show where I will be playing 10 different characters in a spate of 45 minutes and it will be televised all over London. Right now, it seems a dung-hill task but I know with God’s help, I can do it; that is challenging.
How did you get the Hoodrush job?
I went for an audition here in Yaba.
Tell me about the character you played?
I played the role of Kelechi, a young girl who was naïve but very optimistic about life but found herself in an environment where she couldn’t do much. She was brutalised by her aunt, raped by her landlord. She had no one to speak for her but she believed in herself, she believed in her man, in his dream and she just woke up one day and said to hell with this, ‘I’m not going to live in this slum forever. I can actually be better.’ So, she took the bull by the horn.
What exactly did you take away from that role?
That she said I can’t remain this way, which applies to every one of us. I mean I’m not from a very rich background. I’m from a humble home, but I’m having all of these opportunities, who say we can’t all make it in life?
People are looking at my story and they are been motivated, so that’s what I took away from Kelechi. Kelechi decide to be better, Kelechi said my environment will not make me. I will make myself and she took the rein and her life became better.
Your ability to sing is one of the criteria used to select the cast of the movie, Hoodrush, can you sing and if yes, are you thinking of taking up music alongside acting like some of your colleagues had done in the past and some are still doing?
I have never thought of being a singer, even though I have the talent. I come from a family where we sing, we have a group made up of my younger sisters. So, we sing in my family, just a talent that we have, but I do not want to take it up as a career. I am first and foremost, an actor.
What does fashion mean to you?
You just met the wrong girl. I don’t know jack about fashion, my friends and my family help me. I’m more of a Tomboy.
Are you in a relationship?
Yes, I am.
What does your man contribute to your fashion because every man wants his babe to look very good?
Yeah, the first day I went to the audition for the Hoodrush, a day before he went to a shop and bought the pair of trousers, the top and the pair of shoes I wore to the audition. So, he wants me looking good. I just came back from a movie location where I played the role of a village girl. When I came back, he exclaimed, girl you are looking really different.
…And if he proposes?
He has proposed.
And no terms and conditions attached?
I hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment