Monday 17 June 2013

I can date a marketer if... — Chelsea Eze


Who discovered you?
I will say Emem Isong. I had an auditioning with her before Silent Scandal in 2007 and thank God she kept that auditioning tape somewhere. In 2009 when Mrs. Vivian Ejike wanted to produce Silent Scandal, she put my name out, and I was called. So, I will say Emem Isong discovered me.
How has it been so far?
It’s not been easy I no go lie because you know how it is, if you did not struggle to get something, you will struggle to keep it. I never struggled to be an actor; I had to work hard to stay an actor. Silent Scandal was not just any movie, it was a great movie, and I tell people that Silent Scandal was a blessing and a curse at the same time. It was a blessing in the sense that O! My God, who is this girl? Where has she been? From nowhere to here, and it won three awards.
Three awards!
Yes! AMAA 2010 Most Promising Actress, there was also BON Revelation of the Year Award and ZAFAA Most Promising Award or something like that. It then became how is she going to keep it up? It’s not easy, and Silent Scandal being the kind of film that it is, did not create room for me to easily go to something else, maybe if I had started with few scenes it would have been easier. And the curse side; I won’t say curse in the real sense, just that it made me very aware, and I had to work extra hard because it was like I got this on a platter of gold, and I remember Emem appraising me for Silent Scandal, and that was even before I won the award. She had even wanted to give me a role but decided against it saying it’s not possible because I have just done Silent Scandal. And she said Chelsea, just stay on top of the game and work hard be where you are supposed to be at the right time, grow in your craft, talk to the right set of people, and just be a fantastic actor, and that has been exactly what I have been doing, but it is not happening overnight.
But why have you not been seen in most of Royal Arts Academy movies?
If there is a role that they thought I could act, they will call me.
Aside Emem Isong, how do you get scripts?
The scripts are coming in, I go for auditions contrary to what people think, but maybe I don’t go for all the auditions. Of course! I can’t go for all the auditions.
That means you are very selective of the auditions you attend?
Yes, I am very selective, there is a standard, and I’m sorry I didn’t set that standard, God did. So I cannot do something less.
You played a major role in the movie Hoodrush, how did you get to be a part of that movie?
I heard about Hoodrush from O.C. Ukeje, but unfortunately, they have already done the auditioning, but somehow, either OC Ukeje was it God that convinced them to call me, and I got the script.
What role did you play in the movie?
I played Shakira in the movie. Shakira is a girl that grew up in the hood. Though she wasn’t a hood rat, she needed to survive. She had to see life in a different perspective and went into a symbiotic relationship.
Before Hood rush have you in anyway sang before?
Yes, I used to sing in the school and choir church. But I know I love to sing, so I go to karaoke every now and then, and when the opportunity came I was glad because karaoke singing and studio singing are two different things. But anyway I’m actually thinking of going into music; there is no harm in trying.
Are you saying that your experience and performance in Hoodrush was so good that you want to go into music?
It wasn’t so good like Omawunmi, but honestly, I have done freestyle for a couple of people, people that I respect in the music industry, and a lot of them randomly spoke to me at karaoke. I think there is something, a lot of work and I’m doing another musical soon. It is a sing-song movie unlike Hoodrush where I did a couple of songs. In this, I will be singing more, like six to seven songs. So if I can put it up for movies, then I can be a singer.
Which other movies have you done recently?
I did Hoodrush after which I did an epic-modern movie called The Kingdom. It features Eucharia Anunobi, Clem Ohameze, Annie Macaulay among others. There is another one we shot in Abuja and then Two Brides and a Baby and a couple of other ones with working titles.
How are you coping in the movie industry with the economic meltdown considering that there is no back to back shooting as before?
The economic meltdown is everywhere in the world. Honestly, I feel the meltdown is a good thing as well as a bad thing. It’s a good thing in the sense that you will sit down and consider the script you want to spend money on very well, and you have cinemas to contend with; a lot of movies have gone to the cinemas and the movie also should have a standard. I think it puts everybody on their toes, people are not shooting so many movies and the ones that come out are great movies, so for me, it’s good.
As a beautiful and well talented actress who needs the cash to push her career to the fore, will you accept a N10million offer from a marketer who wishes to date you? Assuming you are the marketer, I will say to you, darling, (I call everybody darling, you know). I will tell him, thank you for acknowledging the fact that I’m good enough, but you know you are giving me N10million to shoot a movie where both of us will make money. I will never, that is sexual harassment.
But it is a common thing in the industry?
Yes, but if I have to date a marketer or a director I’m dating him because I like him, not on a condition.
Can you date a marketer?
If there is a fine one, yes, and if he is single and I’m single. Why not?
Are you in a relationship now?
Yes
And how supportive is he to your chosen career?
He is very supportive now, but you know Nigerian men.
Tell us more about yourself?
I’m from Abia State. I was born in Kano, and had my primary and secondary education also in Kano, but I went to the University of Maiduguri, Borno State where I read English Language.
When did you decide to go into pageantry?
It was something I dabbled into when I was still in school. I contested for Miss Taraba though I did not win, my best friend won while I came second, but I’m sure you can’t see the pictures. They are well hidden; I’m surprised how you got to know about it.
 What year was that?
2006
You should be able to speak Hausa Language very well.
I speak Hausa more than I speak Igbo. I speak Igbo, don’t get me wrong but my Hausa is more fluent.
What has kept you going in the industry?
If I say this, it will seem like a cliché; but it is God. God is the essence of ones being, and like my daddy used to tell me; though you have a plan for yourself, God has a plan for you too, and if you are not in God’s plan you will just be working and not getting results. Even when I get a script, I will kneel down and tell God to help me with the translation, so it is generally God, and secondly, I love myself so much that I take care of myself.
What’s your beauty routine like?
I don’t have one. I don’t rub powder, I stay away from make-up. I don’t make up because it will make me break up. The best I do is take fruits and water. I only use make up and powder when I need them. I don’t want to break up when you use too much powder your pores don’t absorb air, so I don’t use it except I’m going on set or I have an outing.

No comments:

Post a Comment