Monday 17 June 2013

Me a lesbian? They are ignorant –Kween


You have been on and off the scene, what really were you up to lately?
I have been off the scene for quite some time now for personal reasons, but since coming back to the scene, I have been promoting my new single.
Jebele tells a lot of story, what really inspired it?
The song Jebele was inspired by the reality and challenges we face in life, especially in our relationships.
How much has the song affected where you were, and where you are going in your career?
Jebele has been my strongest single since the release of Oluronbi and Come with me. So I think that is a positive thing. People love and can relate to the song. As for the future, I can only hope for the best.
Can you tell me how much you spent on that video and who directed it?
 It is an expensive video; let my bank manager worry about the figures. Blast and Lummie of Onpoint Africa were the directors of the video.
Are you looking at any label now or getting offers? What is the attraction, and what are the chances of you and Ara getting along?
I am in talks with a management company. I get along with people easily.
What is your take on the several musical video awards coming up, and what do you think this means to Nigerian music?
It’s a great and positive thing for the music industry. It is a great initiative. I hope it will be done well and that it has come to stay. A lot goes on behind the scene to get a good video done; we have the directors, producers, artistes, stylist and the makeup artists who work so hard to get videos done, so recognizing and appreciating them is very encouraging, and it gives a great feeling of accomplishment.
Can you define your kind of music, and where do you think it will be in a decade?
Afro funk, jazz, hip hop, neo soul, lovers rock and dance hall rhythms are combined in my music. I have been linked for my growls and swoops that link African tradition to American soul music. I produce dance music as well as slow captivating dance songs with a lot of sensuality. I hope that in a decade, my music would have had a global recognition, and winning a Grammy would be the icing on the cake.
Between beats and lyrics, which do you give top priority or consider most when you are composing?
I consider neither when composing. My composition comes to me naturally.
 Why do you think anybody would call or tag you a lesbian?
People can call or tag me a lesbian because they are ignorant.
How do you cope as a single mother and an artiste?
Coping as a single mother as well as an artiste has been extremely challenging, but I have been able to pull through. I couldn’t have done it without the strength and blessing from God, and by having a wonderful, loving and supportive family.
Have you ever been rebuked or discriminated against because you are romantically linked with a self-confessed lesbian?
A major point of correction, I am not romantically linked with the person in question. We are sisterly, friendly and colleague-linked. I have not been discriminated against to my face; maybe people do it behind my back, but really who cares. Are people going to say Don Jazzy and D’banj are romantically linked because they are like brothers, friends and colleagues?  
No doubt Kween is a much sought after musician, besides her obvious talent, one other thing that she has going for her is her dress sense.
I don’t wear wigs. I fix my hair. I just want to be different from others that is why I go for this hair. It is my signature tune. I will definitely change this style in the near future, but not now.

No comments:

Post a Comment