Monday 17 June 2013

I’m a living example of child abuse – Atawewe


Alhaji Sulaimon Adio Atawewe (Akile 1) is now adding reasons to why Nigerians and the world at large need to listen to Fuji Music. The Fuji dance-hall master is changing the face of Fuji music as he is using the channel to preach against child abuse, and the reason why our governments, corporate organizations, philanthropists and individuals need to support the eradication of child abuse in the country.
In this chat, he revealed that he has been talking to some notable people and corporate bodies who can assist him to achieve this. He promised to disclose the agenda as event unfolds.
Atawewe was born in the Mushin area of Lagos State. At the age of three, he was taken to Ikorodu to stay with his grandmother where it was believed he will be properly taken care of; instead, he started his musical career there. Before then he said, “I am a typical example of child abuse; I hawked, and at the same time pushed Omo lanke”. He said further “I did not blame my parents for this because they want the best for me, but there was no finance. My father was just a drummer boy while my mother was a petty trader, so my growing up was terrible. My father was not in support of my music because of the difficulties in it. In 1996 when I was arrested by federal SARS because I was accused of entertaining armed robbers at my shows, I spent seven months in detention, I can remember vividly during one of my father’s visit, he told me ‘you see what I was telling you’.
That same day, my mother came. On her way, she fell and I saw blood stain all over her body, then she said ‘Sulaimon have gone to check, they said music is not your way that you should be selling keys’. Instead accepting that, I just touched the blood and use it to pray for myself saying that “if truly you gave birth to me, and you went through this for my sake, I will excel in the music industry”.
Though I wanted to quit during that period because of what I went through, but the day I was released and saw the general acceptance again, I felt overwhelmed, and I decided in my mind that it is a do or die affair.
Now, I give thanks to God because my life is full of His grace, and as such I think it is high time I gave back to the society on child abuse as contained in my new album titled Packaging.
I am working tirelessly with my team (Team Akile) to make sure that we float an NGO that will be recognized worldwide on Child Abuse as soon as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment