Monday 3 June 2013

What I did for Jonathan as Deputy Gov of Bayelsa – Kanayo

What I did for Jonathan  as Deputy Gov  of Bayelsa – Kanayo

Kanayo
Little has been heard from you for a while; are you trying to repackage or have been involved in other things?
I have been divesting and diversifying. When people ask me these days, I feel safe to say that I am on sabbatical. This could be time you use to test and train yourself and relax; it does not mean that you are out of it. I try to reflect on what I have been doing in the past 15 -20 years, and see whether I have been providing the right leadership in my industry and creating political or economic value with my job. It has been a period to look back at where I am coming from and ask myself questions to which I will be able to give my children constructive answers. I think the most important thing is that you have to be happy with whatever job you are doing. All these factors are the reasons you have not heard from me for a long time. I have not quit the job. I am trying to be the best in what I do and I am also trying not to do what I have done 20 years ago, the same way.
You tested the murky waters of politics and you slipped. 

Have you jettisoned the idea?
(Laughs) No! First, I don’t know what you mean by slipping, it’s like saying I failed. You don’t lose in politics; you postpone your winning to another day.  It’s a game you must get interested in because the democratic process thrives more when we take active interest in how and who governs us.  That’s why the charge has always been that everybody must take interest in active governance because the right to vote and be voted for cannot be transferred. So, you must make every attempt; if you don’t want to lead, that means you must be led by other persons. If you are willing to be lead by others, that means you must try and make contributions so that one head does not think out everything. If there is an issue you are concerned about, you must make contributions to it. So, it comes to the reality of not just good governance, but providing a platform by which other members of the society can gain. I made an attempt, and I tell you, it was a good one. It wasn’t a do-or-die affair - that I must win. But if I did not make an attempt, maybe looking back now, I would not have forgiven myself.
 
But you felt bad loosing?
I didn’t feel bad because I didn’t go with the mindset that I must win. As a Christian, I prayed about it and I said if I go in good, and if I didn’t, I will not hold anybody responsible.  That I am a green horn or that I did not carry a bag is an issue to be discussed on another day. Showing that I want to lead and that I want to be given the opportunity to represent my people matters a lot because some people will begin to tell you that politics is dirty and so on. If it’s dirty, let’s go and clean it up. If human beings are dirty, let’s clean whoever is going there to represent us.
 
Some of your colleagues are still romancing President Jonathan’s government even in the face of obvious hardship. Why?
I will tell you that the man inherited a lot of things and the baggage is not what can be put down in one day. I don’t also want to be seen as speaking for government, so I will offer my humble opinion about what I think is happening. Building a country or an association is done brick by brick.  A lot of us that decided to join his campaign train did that with the understanding of the man we knew. Personally, I have known him from his days as the deputy governor of Bayelsa State. I didn’t know him as governor, vice president or president. I knew him as deputy governor and he calls me K.O.K and I relate with him on that basis. While he was governor of Bayelsa, he came for the African Movie Academy Award (AMAA) event at the City Hall, Lagos. I walked up to him; we spoke for about three minutes and I told him I believe in him. I know he is transparent, humble and has a listening ear and I will like to make a little contribution to his campaign. I told him I wanted to produce some jingles for him. He called the Commissioner for Information and told him to give me the necessary information I needed.
He was about contesting for which office then?
Governorship! He called two commissioners and told them to work with me and give me all the information I needed to produce the jingle. Four or five weeks later, while they were still in the studio working on the jingle, they elevated him to the position of the Vice President. This is the man I have known, and joining his campaign train was just on the strength of my relationship with him while he was the deputy governor. It was not that I used to go to Aso Rock Villa to see him. But if he was in any ceremony and I was there, he would have a handshake with me and go his way. That kind of friendship was not based on money.  When he eventually became President and the circumstances surrounding his ascension - where some people in this country swore with their grandfathers’ grave that he would not be president, I thought I should do something. If you are a discerning Christian, you will see the hand of God in each situation that played out in that. The hand of God has written that this man will be President and he did. So, when we joined him in the campaign, it was just a further confirmation and establishment of our friendship. We felt, okay - these people and I still believe till tomorrow that Jonathan will end up being one of the best presidents this country has ever produced. Jonathan’s matter is personal to me because the same people who swore with their grandfathers’ graves are the same people troubling him and not giving him respite to see whether he can perform.  

How many of us woke up this morning and prayed for Jonathan to succeed? 
Yet we have people who go to bed at night and the last thing they will say is: “This man, we must deal with him.” A country does not run that way; we must have a leadership we all support. We cannot find this man guilty when we have not given him the opportunity to prove himself. I am not saying that the man has done all that he has promised; he doesn’t have the capacity. It is only God that has the capacity to do all He promised. Jonathan does not have the capacity to do all that he has promises within such a short time but he has the capacity to do the best he can while still in office.
 
If Jonathan appoints you into his cabinet as a Special Adviser, would you accept it?
Yes, because I have what I will bring to the table.
 
You started off from the stage but diverted. Have you forgotten about stage?
No! Sometimes you need to build on your strength or core competence. It doesn’t mean that in my curriculum vitae you won’t see stage performances that I did. But I decided to focus my energy on where I have my strength. I have my greater strength in the area of TV. I think I have more visibility when it comes to TV and so I now leave the stage for those who have more proficiency in it. It does not mean I cannot give a helping hand to them when they need it. In fact, I recognise stage actors than TV actors because the stage does not afford you the opportunity of editing. Whatever you are doing people are watching you and they are making their pronouncements. If you forget your lines, the prompting may not come and the audience will notice. So, I see stage actors as more professionally trained and I give it to any stage actor because they are more disciplined than TV actors and they also believe in hierarchy. In TV, there is nothing like hierarchy. You hear of A - list actors and most times the A- list actor is in terms of indiscipline. For stage actors, you see people who have to go to set by 3.pm and by 2.55pm they are there. They have more retention because you have to take in your lines and internalise them because if you miss any, you are in trouble. Now on TV, if you miss a line  they will “cut” and remind you, and in fact, you go and read your script again. I find it more professional and more disciplined when it has to do with the people on stage. I respect them.
After Living in Bondage was produced in Igbo language, which you were a part, producers shifted their focus to English movies and that was the end of Igbo movies.
It’s a real sad development. Onitsha people will tell you that what the market forces dictate is what they are flowing with. I want to recall a bit; after Living in Bondage, we did Circle of Doom, Nneka the Pretty Serpent and a couple of other films before Glamour Girls came on board which was produced in English. When the marketers saw that it was another vista of opportunity, everybody began to explore that. I agree with you that we left the route through which we came with Living in Bondage and that is Igbo language. Ordinarily, one should expect that the two run side by side; that’s, Igbo and English movies. I don’t think what is happening in Nollywood today would have happened if we had films done in Igbo, English, and pidgin, because the Yoruba still do what they are doing today in their dialect.  It’s a very sad development and it was caused by the introduction of Glamour Girls. But I think all is not lost. Some Igbo guys have been trying to do a few things about Igbo movies but how realistic it will be should be another thing. You would have known that what you call Igbo language movies sometimes are not real, because sometimes you see a lot of contemporary things in it. I don’t think a man in New York wants to see an Igbo movie where they are kissing. He wants to see the Igbo culture and tradition. Our strength is in telling stories and weaving them together because we have positive values we can showcase. We can step up a lot of things. Look at widowhood in the old times in Africa; for me, it is a sellout because we have lots of things that have not been explored. The title of that film is Widowhood in Igbo Land- A Dying Culture. If I take up this, I can tell the story of what it used to be; I can tell the story of what widowhood was then and what it’s now. These are stories they want you to tell now. That’s the story we can take to the OSCARS from our own perspective. If you can tell this kind of story, well, we can win foreign awards for good films. But then, people are looking for ones you sell and make money fast. So, it’s more of commercial orientation and not story-telling. But we have the opportunity to go back and think.
You have the clout to make this work.
I don’t know what you mean by clout; but having discussed it with you, it shows that I am passionate about it. Maybe it’s part of my retirement plan in this job. Maybe it’s part of what I would do from the comfort of a school or classroom, to teach those who will want to be part of what we are doing today.
 
So, you are retiring very soon?
I am not going to use the word very soon, but for every job you do, you will need it. Maybe after this sabbatical, I will come back, be effective for a while and retire. I am looking at a scenario in a school where there will be about five classrooms of 40 students each. You go from class to class and teach. Next week, you are on tour in a particular country to get knowledge about a particular thing which you come and download for the students. Then the next one or two months, you are on a particular location, supervising and giving advice; and over the next six months, government is calling you to help  them do this. There is a lot one can do during retirement and it does not mean one is crippled. Retirement means that you now have a cooler head to do things at your own pace.
 
Why is it that the younger entertainers always court controversy?
Is it that they can’t manage fame or that it’s just a spill over from their upbringing?
While I do not wish to talk about it, it’s also instructive for us who have been role models for the past 20 – 25 years to offer some way forward.  A lot of people just happened in the movie industry. Don’t forget that we came from a background where you go through a lot - go for rehearsals, processes of payment and recording as well. Much as you don’t pray for your child to go through what you went through to be successful, you also pray for your child to get the basic discipline.  Now you have a producer in the industry and he does his casting; no rehearsals and no script conferencing because we stopped doing script conferencing since 1995. What he does is that he electronically pays money into people’s account. Meanwhile, the person maybe on a set in Lagos; he waits for that person to finish. While waiting, he starts shooting some scenes where the person who is coming from Lagos is not involved, the person meets them half-way and because he has shot some scenes where the guys is not involved when he came in either from the motor park or airport, he is put on costume immediately and he is on set.
So, there is no chemistry between this person and the other actors. In this situation, you can’t get the best. The orientation has to change because it was not like that when we were with the Nigerian Television Authority (NTA). What I am trying to say is that background matters a lot. Some come to the industry for pecuniary incentives and not because of passion or commitment. When you talk about discipline, on individual scale, it takes the grace of God for somebody who made money to be humble. Some of them just make the money and the first thing they do is to buy a car to announce their arrival. We have seen opportunities wasted in the movie industry where people buy one car and they find out that they can change to another car and some even moved to apartments bigger than themselves. The process of growth should be nurtured and even the process of calling yourself a star.
 
Which of the movies you have done touched you emotionally?
I have done close to 250 movies in 20 years. I know that when we did Lost Kingdom in 1999, it was something else. The producers and directors called me and said they were writing a script about the way I talk, gesticulate and that all I need was to fly with it and get into character. And I did my best to interpreter the character. For me, whenever I do socially-relevant stories, I become emotional about them because I know somebody believes and that they are helping to touch somebody’s life. For instance, somebody walked up to me in a restaurant about 10 – 12 years ago and said: “I didn’t know I will quarrel with my wife and you people will translate it into drama and it’s exactly the way it happened. I quarrelled with my wife; we fought and I sent her packing. I married her friend and I never knew she was the one that engineered everything.”
I felt embarrassed because the story was just a fiction. I told the person that we did not come to any home to watch what they were doing.  When you see such a situation, it gives you hope that people are watching and that they appreciate what you do and that’s also a clarion call to our producers to say, “please, let’s do what we have to do differently because we don’t know who is watching.” Nollywood movies have become a communal religion in most Africa homes. Nigeria is a developing country, but don’t forget that there are some African communities where they still bring out the box called television and put it on a stand and 50-70 people will sit outside and watch. So it’s more of a communal religion. We can begin to see our movies as a diplomatic tool to win the sympathy and love of other countries. We must not just use them to clean up the image of the government; they should be used to project our cultural image.